Header Ads

Adverbial Clause


Recognizing Adverb Clause

Characteristics of Adverb Clauses
Clause Markers:
1. Time: when, as, as soon as, while, before, after, till, until, since, once
2. Place: where, wherever
3. Manner: as if, as though, as
4. Condition: if, unless, providing that,
provided that
5. Reason: because, as, since
6. Result: so that
Position: after the Main Clause (no comma)
                 before the main clause (comma)
Examples
He goes home before I leave school.
When she comes here, I will leave.
After I wash my hands, I’ll have dinner.
Once she arrives, we will see her.
As she meets the teacher, she will be punished.
She has lived here since she was young.
You can put it where you want.
Wherever you want, you can go.
If I study hard, I’ll pass my exams.
Unless you study hard, you don’t pass your exams.
Providing that you study hard, you’ll pass your exams.
She will call you as soon as she arrives.
He works until the office closes.
Functions:
The only function of adverb clause is Adverbial.
He sees the students when he comes to the class
Practice
Which part is the adverb clause?
And where is the comma?
He goes home before I leave school.
When she comes here I will leave.
After I wash my hands I’ll have dinner.
Once she arrives we will see her.
As she meets the teacher she will be punished.
She will call you as soon as she arrives.

He works until the office closes.

THANKS!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.