Header Ads

Transitive and Intransitive Verbs


Look at these chunks:
I sleep, She slaps, They walk, He runs, She smells,Dara loves,They eat, She opens,He gives,They call,He appoints, He puts,She knocks

Transitive (verbs with object(s))

1.Mono-transitive verb: (one object)

He smokes cigarettes.
She learns a lesson.
He misses the bus.

• How many Mono-transitive verbs are there

 Di-transitive verb (with two objects)

He sends him a letter.
He passes her the salt.
She pays him a can of coke.

• How many Di-transitive verbs are there?

Not many but here are some common Di-transitive verbs:
Give, grant, hand, leave, take, teach, tell, throw, write, read, sell, send, show, feed, fetch, pay

These verbs follow the construction of:

Subject+ Verb+ Sb+ Sth

2. Preposition construction: “to vs. for” (Refer to verbs with two objects, pp: 55)

3. Complex-transitive: (Object + Object Complement)

She elects Obama a president .
They appoint Dara a chairman.
He paints the wall white.
Construction:
Subject+ V+ Object (Sth/Sb)+ Object Complement (Sb/Sth/Adjective)
His father names him Bora.
I prefer my coffee black. 

4. Cognate Verb (Object and same family)

e.g. He lives a happy life.
        She dies a bad death.
        She dances a beautiful dance.
Look at these chunks:
I go
I lay

I sleep
• Intransitive Verbs: (no objects)
I snore at night.
I walk to school.
• Why intransitive verbs cannot be in Passive Voice?
Look at here:
I eat rice. => Rice is eaten by me.
I sleep. => (What) ….

No comments

Powered by Blogger.